struts-dev mailing list archives

From David Geary <sabrew...@gmail.com>
Subject [shale] Remote Method Calls
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:30:41 GMT
At JavaPolis, I showed a couple of Ajax demos using Shale remote method
calls. After the demos, I got to thinking...

The back-end stuff for remoting--AbstractListCompletions and company--is
great. But I don't understand the requirement that remote calls must be made
to Commons Chain commands. That requirement seems artificial to me, and
induces another layer that developers must understand and configure just to
make a remote method call.

As it stands, to invoke a remote method call, you must:

1. Implement a Jakarta Commons Chain command.
2. Add an entry to the remote catalog for your command in chain-config.xml.
3. Invoke the appropriate URL using JavaScript.

It seems to me that steps 1&2 could be eliminated if we got rid of the Chain
command requirement and instead invoked methods on managed beans using
reflection. Sort of a remote value binding.

david