struts-dev mailing list archives

From David Durham <ddur...@vailsys.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Confirm Shale 1.0.0 Test Build Release Plan
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:15:49 GMT
Craig McClanahan wrote:
> Call it a social experiment :-).  I'm continually amazed at how many people
> treat open source projects as a binary distribution, and never bother to go
> get the source.  Several commons packages, as well as Spring, do it this way
> ... I want to see if it encourages people to actually look.  (In addition,
> it makes life much easier when you're trying to use a debugger to have the
> source code for framework classes available.)

I certainly prefer to have the source code bundled along with the binaries.

As everyone on the list probably knows, Eclipse and other IDEs require the source code be
"attached" to the libraries for certain features, such as in-line documentation and ctrl-clicking
into source code.  So, explaining to a new person that they need to download the binary and
the source can complicate things just a little bit.  Ideally, 3 downloads would be available:
binary-only, source-only, and both binary and source.  Social experiments are cool, though.

FWIW,

-Dave