struts-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Struts Wiki] Update of "StandaloneTiles" by GregReddin
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2005 03:38:47 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by GregReddin:
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StandaloneTiles

+ == Roadmap ==
+
+ This section provides a roadmap for moving the Standalone Tiles project to a GA release.
+
+ === Milestone 1 - Refactor core API ===
+
+ This is essentially done, but in the process several existing APIs were broken that some
users rely on.  The next step here is to determine what those APIs are and how to best rebuild
that support.
+
+ === Milestone 2 - Refactor taglib ===
+
+ The API refactoring broke the taglib.  It was patched back together enough to make it compile
again, and so far it actually works.  The core functionality needs to be extracted from the
taglib and the codebase needs to be further refined to provide those features. In the process
test cases need to be developed to verify the functionality.  (How do you test a taglib?)
+
+ === Milestone 3 - Remove Servlet API dependencies ===
+
+ Once the core library is ready we need to refine the API again to depend on a context class
instead of Servlet classes.  This will allow Tiles to be used within JSF and Portlet environments.
 Look at commons-chain and JSF for ideas.
+
+ === Milestone 4 - Build Struts integration layer ===
+
+ The final step is to rebuild the existing Struts integration so Standalone Tiles can replace
Struts-Tiles.
+
+ At this point I think Release 1.0 will be ready.
+
+
  == Removing Servlet API dependencies ==

  The purpose of this enhancement is to remove Tiles' dependency on the Servlet APIs.  The
following classes have an API dependency on the Servlet APIs.  By that, I mean that the API
in these classes must change to remove the dependency on the Servlet APIs.  The reason for
removing the Servlet API dependency is to make Tiles accessible in a Portlet world.  The services
provided by the Servlet API will be included in a new Context object yet to be created.