struts-dev mailing list archives

From <hermod.opstv...@dnbnor.no>
Subject RE: [shale] ViewControllers and page composition
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 07:42:47 GMT
Hi

No, It then triggers for the complete page (Which is what it does now), not for each tile.
So re-arranging a page/composition (ie.view), means changing code (i.e controller) which is
not an optimal solution seen from a architectual view. This brings in strong binding between
them.

Hermod

-----Original Message-----
From: Rahul Akolkar [mailto:rahul.akolkar@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 10:36 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: [shale] ViewControllers and page composition

On 11/16/05, hermod.opstvedt@dnbnor.no <hermod.opstvedt@dnbnor.no> wrote:
> Hi
>
> There is one thing that has struck me while I have been working with Shale lately: The
ViewController is URI (page) based.

> What I mean by this is that if you have a Tiles based page composition, it would perhaps
be more natural to have it based on the individual .jsp's instead. A typical use-case is that
since Tiles promotes component (read .jsp) reuse, chances are that you might include the same
.jsp in more than one "page". The way it now works, you would most likely would have to duplicate
code from the ViewController for "page1" into the ViewController for "page2". I was wondering
if the TilesServlet somehow could initiate separate ViewController's for the various .jsp's.

<snip/>

If TilesServlet did something Shale, wouldn't that be quite a
mishmash? IIUC, in a faces environment, you would refer to the Tiles
"components" (or pages, or templates) not as .jsp, but using the
corresponding URL mapped to the FacesServlet. If that is true,
wouldn't that trigger the separate ViewControllers just like you want?

-Rahul

> Hermod

<snap/>

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that the DnB NOR Group
cannot accept any payment orders or other legally binding correspondence with
customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the virus programs used
in the DnB NOR Group.