struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <ted.hus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT][shale] Struts Shale 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1 Available
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:08:29 GMT
I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with going back to using the "release
candidate" nomenclature. If we want to release a distribution, we
should vote on the plan, and release a distribution. If that
distribution needs work to make the GA grade, then we should just
release the next milestone. We worked very hard to develop a canonical
release process, which I believe is serving us well.

If we anticipate that a 1.0.0 release will be soon followed by a
1.0.1, then I would suggest setting up a release plan for the
subsequent release too. There's no reason why we can't use the
canonical process to release early and release often. Since the
release process is already streamlined, I don't think that hosting
"release candidates" and "limited time distributions" on top of the
nightly builds is a good idea.

I am also very uncomforable with us rolling any type of distribution
and announcing it to the *user* list, without (as far as I can tell)
any prior discussion on dev@. There are several Shale committers in
our community, and I believe everyone involved should be given the
express opportunity to chime-in before we do anything like this.

-Ted.