struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: RequestProcessor/Dispatcher & render page
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:05:55 GMT
Take a look at the RequestProcessor class source (pre-1.3 Struts, I'm
looking at 1.2.4 at the moment).  Look for the process() method.  This
is, in a high-level way, where most of the work occurs in the request
processing cycle (at least the part that you are likely to be concerned
with).  Specifically, near the end you'll see this:

   // Call the Action instance itself
   ActionForward forward = processActionPerform(request, response,

     action, form, mapping);

As the comment pretty clearly states, this is where the execute() that
you as the app developer write is called.  The forward you return is
grabbed.  Next, you'll see this:

   // Process the returned ActionForward instance
   processForwardConfig(request, response, forward);

The processForwarConfig() is where the forward (or redirect) occurs.  In
that method, forward.getPath() is called, which returns the path to
forward to, based on the configuration read in from struts-config.xml
when ActionServlet started up, and RequestDispatcher is used to forward
(or response.sendRedirect() for a redirect).

Have I answered the question, or did I not understand what you were asking?

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect