struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Website Updates
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 21:38:19 GMT
I agree, config is a little too left-field (even though it does make
sense as Ted describes).

I'm not actually too thrilled with even saying "core" frankly... I would
be more in favor of simply calling core "Struts" and all the
sub-projects "Struts-xxx".  I understand the reasoning of adding core to
the name, but I personally think it'll just confuse people a bit (not
much hopefully, but a bit).

Frank

James Mitchell wrote:

> You are right, that seems odd.
>
> I really like 'core' since it seems (to me anyway) to encapsulate the
> 'core' of the framework, but I'm not married to it, and I know how
> (sometimes) being too close to something makes it harder to see the
> 'forrest' ;)
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> --
> James Mitchell
> Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance
> EdgeTech, Inc.
> http://www.edgetechservices.net/
> 678.910.8017
> AIM:   jmitchtx
> Yahoo: jmitchtx
> MSN:   jmitchell@apache.org
> Skype: callto://jmitchtx
>

> On Sep 5, 2005, at 5:10 PM, Ted Husted wrote:
>
>> Here's an odd idea: What if we called Struts "Core", Struts  "Config"
>> instead?
>>
>> After all, the purpose of the codebase is to realize the struts-config
>> XML file. What goes into Struts "Core" might be ambiguous, but what
>> goes inot Struts Config is defined, by, well, the struts-config XML
>> declaration.
>>
>> Here's that new home page again, with s/Core/Config:
>>

>>> Welcome to Struts Config
>>>
>>> Struts Config provides the invisible underpinnings every professional
>>> web application needs to survive. Struts Config is a flexible control
>>> layer based on standard technologies like Java Servlets, JavaBeans,
>>> ResourceBundles, and XML, as well as various Jakarta Commons  packages.
>>> Config helps you create an extensible development environment for  your
>>> application, based on published standards and proven design patterns.
>>>
>>> Struts Config provides its own Controller component and integrates  with
>>> other technologies to provide the Model and the View. For the Model,
>>> Config can interact with standard data access technologies, like JDBC
>>> and EJB, as well as most any third-party packages, like Hibernate,
>>> iBATIS, or Object Relational Bridge. For the View, Config works well
>>> with JavaServer Pages, including JSTL and JSF, as well as Velocity
>>> Templates, XSLT, and other presentation systems.
>>>
>>> Struts Config in a Nutshell
>>>
>>> A web application uses a deployment descriptor to initialize  resources
>>> like servlets and taglibs. The deployment descriptor is formatted  as a
>>> XML document and named "web.xml". Likewise, Config uses a  configuration
>>> file to initialize its own resources. These resources include
>>> ActionForms to collect input from users, ActionMappings to direct
>>> input to server-side Actions, and ActionForwards to select output
>>> pages.
>>>
>>> Here's a simple Struts configuration (struts-config.xml) for a  login
>>> workflow:
>>>
>>>     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
>>>     <!DOCTYPE struts-config PUBLIC
>>>           "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration
>>> 1.3//EN"
>>>           "http://struts.apache.org/dtds/struts-config_1_3.dtd">
>>>     <struts-config>
> [...]

Frank W. Zammetti