struts-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Feit <richf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ti] Status Matrix
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:22:10 GMT
I agree with all points.  The file generation based on annotations is on
par with generating through XDoclet -- having a simple ant macro would
be nice IMO.

We could still provide a maven plugin, though, right?  Something that
would look in a well-known place for annotated controller classes.  This
is something we could even use internally, in our samples builds.

Rich

James Mitchell wrote:

> I don't know the extent of the process you are talking about, but I
> wouldn't recommend using Maven for it.  Ant makes the most sense, since:
>  a) it is *the* most widely supported build tool,
>  b) all major IDEs already have fairly advanced support for it,
>  c) Maven 1.0.2 uses it under the covers anyway.
>  d) Ant is more scripting based (you 'script' your build) as
>     opposed to Maven, which is more of a 'project based' tool
>     (You describe your project and it does the rest of the magic)
>
> Although I can't imagine this really being any more difficult to do
> than what we already do with XDoclet, right?
>

> --
> James Mitchell
> Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance
> EdgeTech, Inc.
> http://www.edgetechservices.net/
> 678.910.8017
> AIM:   jmitchtx
> Yahoo: jmitchtx
> MSN:   jmitchell@apache.org
> Skype: callto://jmitchtx
>

> On Sep 2, 2005, at 12:53 AM, Rich Feit wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I was thinking specifically of
>> any build-time support we provide, like generating files based on
>> annotations/tags (the converse of the live feedback feature).  I
>> assume this would translate to ant macros or a maven plugin (I'm
>> guessing/proposing that we do both, i.e., we can't abandon ant).
>>
>> James Mitchell wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not sure I understand.  If a user wants to create a new ti-
>>> based  application, wouldn't they just do the same thing they are
>>> doing now  with Struts/JSF/Whatever or anything else?  (e.g. Add
>>> the jars to the  classpath to their existing build process, build
>>> and deploy)
>>>
>>> Or are we talking about the "live feedback" when an annotation is
>>> changed or new controller is added?
>>>

>>> --
>>> James Mitchell
>>> Software Engineer / Open Source Evangelist
>>> Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance
>>> EdgeTech, Inc.
>>> http://www.edgetechservices.net/
>>> 678.910.8017