struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: Spring and XWork in Ti
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:54:37 GMT
At this stage in the project, we are exploring problems and solutions.  It can
be misleading to follow the dev discussion thinking this is what the user will
need to know and understand in order to use the project.  Each of the components
discussed here are solutions to problems.  What Ti is trying to determine is
what problems it will tackle and what components already provide solutions.

In the end, I envision the average Struts developer not knowing or caring about
90% of this stuff.  They will write Controller classes, annotated with tags that
request validation, views, etc., then Ti will take care of it from there.  My
goal is for the user to not even know they are using XWork, just that when they
add the @ti.action annotation, they can call that action from a URL.  If they
want validation, they add a @ti.validationRequired tag.  They shouldn't know or
care if it is commons-validator under the covers that does the work or XWork
validations.

This level of user abstraction, I feel, hasn't been a priority for many projects
and causes confusion.  I'm tired of the confusion caused by Struts apps being a
mix of Tiles, commons-validator, Struts, Beanutils, etc., and those are just the
out-of-the-box components Struts ships with.  Some projects like Tapestry solve
this by rolling their own IoC, HTML template language, component model, etc., to
present a unified face to the developer.  I'm hoping to also provide a simple,
unified framework to the developer, but take advantage of all the hard work
folks have put into projects like Spring, WebWork, Beehive, etc. under the covers.

This may not be a reachable goal, but I'm hoping we can give it a shot.

Don