struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: Spring and XWork in Ti
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:06:20 GMT
Perhaps an example would help convey what I'm trying to say:

Take a simple case where you want to processing time and log it to a file.  As a
XWork interceptor, it would look like this:

   long startTime = System.currentTimeMillis();
   String result = invocation.invoke();
   long executionTime = System.currentTimeMillis() - startTime;
   log.info("Execution time: "+executionTime+" ms");

Here, we define a method variable, startTime, before the rest of the execution,
then need to access it after the execution is done.

If we wanted to write this as a Filter in commons-chain, we couldn't without
making startTime a class level variable, but then the command would no longer be
thread-safe.

Ah, but you might suggest we write that as a chain since a chain has explicit
control over executing its children.  But then, we'd have to define the rest of
the commands within that chain and if you have multiple commands like this timer
command, they too would have to be chains:
   process-chain
     timer-chain
       fooCommand
       otherAroundCommand
         barCommand

This obviously has the disadvantage of deep nesting losing some of the
readability of a simple process chain.

Therefore, my point is an interceptor chain is better suited to a scalable,
linear process flow, while chain is better for decision points.  And neither,
I'd argue, is well suited for a robust, configurable workflow, and this surely
we can agree we are seeing with commons-chain in Struts Classic.

Don

BTW, I'm really enjoying this discussion and have missed these on this list.