struts-dev mailing list archives

From "James Mitchell" <jmitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Ant vs. Maven - convince me! :)
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:21:15 GMT
That seems to be a common theme.  I just don't understand why people still
think they have to give up something to use Maven.  Maven is 100% compatible
with Ant or whatever you are using.  Maven is 100% compatible with your
current, past, or future file layout.  You *don't* have to mold your project
layout to what Maven likes.  Maven will gladly use whatever you have.  I
guarantee that you cannot make a project layout that Maven can't build.

A while ago, Craig posted a very nice summary about the types of people
commenting on JSF.  He basically outlined 3 scenarios.  I can honestly say
that the same applies to Maven.

I don't remember word-for-word how it went, but it was something like
this...

* People who have not even looked at it, and simply repeat what they here
from other people (who might not have tried it either)

* People who have played with it, but have not done anything serious and
therefore do not understand the payoff.

* People who have tried it and can tell you *exactly* why they like or don't
like it.

While I'm in the last category, I'm not the one *doing* the work (this
time;)....so it's really up to you.

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance