struts-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC: Struts HTML Ajax-Aware Tags
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:40:09 GMT
On Apr 7, 2005 11:06 AM, Fogleson, Allen <allen.fogleson@daugherty.com> wrote:

> As in any enterprise (and we must view apache as an enterprise even if
> it is mostly volunteer labor) there are rules, regulations and policies
> to be followed.

It also helps avoid surprise if you understand a little bit about the
culture of how Apache projects (including Struts) operate.  An
invaluable resource for this purpose is on the main Apache website:

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

For example, all the committers to Struts (including me) started in
the "user" category, and grew through the described roles to various
levels of additional responsibility (as well as, in many cases,
participation in other projects as well), after illustrating by their
behavior that they buy in to these principles and behaviors.

There is certainly room in the world for projects that work
differently, where the bar to commit access is substantially lower.
The struts.sf.net project, for example, has a very different approach.
 But, if that's what you are looking for, you are going to be
frustrated if you only look here.

Craig