struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Approaches to Contributing to Struts (Re: [Apache Struts Wiki] Updated: StrutsUpload)
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:42:20 GMT
At 8:29 AM -0800 3/11/05, Dakota Jack wrote:
>Thanks, Frank.  I posted this code in response to Ted's suggestion
>that this is the way to go to establish a dialogue with the committers
>on code.

I would totally endorse Ted's suggestion.  The best approach is to
publicly document approaches and, where possible, provide extension
code that can be exercised without rushing a change to the Struts
core.  This is how struts-chain was developed and verified as a
reasonable approach before the core was changed.  It also happens to
be how validator and tiles evolved.  In a much more modest fashion,
this was the origin of the DigestingPlugIn, which I developed and
published and which was adopted into Struts all before I was a
committer.

I feel bad seeing Frank's obvious bitter feelings, and as I noted
elsewhere, I'm sorry I wasn't following the thread closely enough to
warn that his efforts were pushing in a direction that Struts doesn't
follow.  In fact, I know of no open source project which would add
incompatible features to an older release, except in the case of a
major version number change.

I don't think we've earned "Struts 2.0" with the other changes we
have, although until we do a release, we could certainly debate
calling the chain based processor Struts 2.0 and making room for
Frank's changes in what would then be a live development version on
the 1.x branch.

As always, remember that we're all volunteers here, and we all have
to scrounge for the time we apply to Struts.  Also, we have an
enormous installed base, and we have to take their needs into
account.  If the general open source community has come to expect
compatibility between minor version releases, and if we've always
struck a firm stance towards providing that kind of compatibility in
Struts, then we need to maintain consistency.

Frank, have you exhausted any hope of packaging your changes as
something which can be added on to Struts 1.2 without requiring
changes to the core classes?  It may seem cumbersome, but I have a
feeling that it would be possible to package your changes as
extensions instead of core changes or a forked Struts distribution.
Where Struts falls short in this regard, I would be interested in
helping design and implement changes to both 1.2 and 1.3 to improve
its extensibility.

If Frank is burned out, but there's as much interest as there seemed
to be on the list, perhaps some of those people would be willing to
carry the baton to the next stage.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska