struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: setupItems posted to Bugzilla
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:03:08 GMT
Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> Frank,
>   Maybe I am in the minority, I don't know, but I thought the whole
> point of version numbers to keep track of what features exist in a
> certain package of released code?

By that logic, one could argue that adding a new feature to the 1.2
branch is perfectly acceptable, even if it is never added to 1.3.

> No new work will ever be done on
> 1.1 because 1.2 is the current branch of struts.  As soon as 1.3 is
> out the door that will be the case for 1.2.  New feature development
> on every product happens in the latest branch.  Why are you surprised
> or concerned by this?

I'm not surprised by this.  But I also don't see why that PRECLUDES new
features in a previous version.

> If you want features that are not in the version you
> have to use, create those features and use them.

In other words, fork off ;)

The thing is, this is open-source, which means that if there are people
willing to do the work, NO version of something should ever die.  If I
am willing to continue adding features to the 1.2 branch (assuming I can
get a committer to apply it), why should we say as a blanket statement
that "sorry, too bad, the 1.2 branch is not being supported, so go use
1.3"?  That seems like a statement completely contrary to the idea of
open-source and community development.

Well, the bottom-line here is that regardless of what the community may
want, I can't do anything about it "officially" because I am not a
committer.  That's kind of the end of the story, isn't it?  Note that I
AM NOT saying the community wants my solution.  Certainly some do, but I
don't presume to speak for everyone.  The Struts team in fact DOES
though, as is their right.  If they say Chain is the answer, then it's
the answer.  I can disagree until I'm blue in the face, but at the end
of the day, who cares?

But let's be clear: my only real recourse is to release my own version
of Struts, which is contrary to trying to make it better and I won't do
that, so that's that really.  I tried, but in the end THAT doesn't
matter either.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect