struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Blank Questions
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:02:04 GMT
I don't know about a template, but I do know someone who did a iBATIS rendition of the infamous
MailReader application. Once apps stabilizes, perhaps he would donate it to us and we could
hook it up to one of the native Java DBMS.

I am working an application controller implemented in C# based on Struts and Commons Chain.
The code-behind (or Action/ActionForm) plunks the input into a Context, along with the name
of the request, and hands off to the controller. The controller calls a Chain to validate
input, format strings, convert types, and process the business and persistence logic, and
returns the context to the code-behind. The Context includes a "Nominal" property to indicate
success as well as a Struts/Common Resources-type message queue with any error or confirmation
messages. The controller automatically captures any unexpected exceptions and bundles those
into the message queue, so that both excepted and unexpected faults can be handled in the
same way. All of the non-presentation logic is moved into a Chain, where it can be developed
test-first and reused in non-web applications. Ultimately, there could be implementations
for C#, Java5, and PHP5, so that we can develop applications "into" a platform rather than
"with" a platform.

But this may not be the best week to get off on that :)

-Ted.