struts-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Coupling, Struts and JSF
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 06:27:40 GMT
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:09:28 -0800, Dakota Jack <dakota.jack@gmail.com> wrote:

> This make sense to you?

It certainly does ... but that's only because you and I are wierd :-).

The pattern you describe makes perfect sense to someone who
understands object oriented programming, and design patterns, and
appropriate mechanisms for reuse.  It makes *no* sense at all to
people whose initial exposure to programming was VB, or some scripting
language like PHP or PERL.  What's an "object"?  What's a "class"?
For that matter, what's "reuse" (because their definition is
"cut-n-paste')?  Now, guess how many people in the world understand
object oriented programming, and appropriate reuse, and all of that,
versus the people that are struggling to write their first non-"Hello
World" application in Java.

It amazes me how many people have gone through this struggle and
actually succeeded, using Struts as their crutch.  It saddens me how
many others of these people find the picture you describe as too
complicated to understand, and therefore give up on Java as being "too
hard."  That's an audience I care about supporting; there's lots of
frameworks around that do a great job for O-O geeks (and many of them
do it much better than Struts, mostly because they came second and not
first, but better nonetheless).  There are basically no frameworks in
the world that a developer familiar with a scripting language will
feel comfortable with out of the box.

> Jack

Craig