struts-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Use Cases" Example Webapp for the Shale proposal
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:05:01 GMT
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:33:49 +0000, gvanmatre@comcast.net
<gvanmatre@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Thanks for the insight. I have been working with Struts since your
> > beginning in the 2nd half of 2000. I aggree with your technology
> > assessment and just concentrate on getting the job done.
> >
> > BaTien
> > DBGROUPS
>

> I agree.  Thank you for sharing!
>
> I really like the automatic mapping of a view to a backed bean.  This might be really
handy in componentizing sub views using dynamic includes.

> <f:subview id="leftNav">
>    <jsp:include page="${leftNav}" />
> </f:subview>

I don't have the JSP spec in front of me to check, but I don't think
<jsp:include> accepts expressions on the "page" attribute.  However,
you could write your own custom tag (or JSF component) that did so,
and then did a RequestDispatcher.include() inside -- that's
essentially what <tiles:insert> does.

> Would it be a correct statement that the sub view jsp fragment would assume a view controller
too having all the hooks in the controller?  This seems much cleaner than the events on the
script collector or view in the next release.

Providing ViewController support for subviews is on my TODO list, but
it's not supported yet.  I'm trying to avoid the need for a custom
<f:subview> replacement, but haven't figured out a way to do that yet.

> Is the ViewHandler decoration MyFaces specific – not that it matters?

The ViewHandler decoration that Shale uses is not MyFaces specific ...
it should run on any standard JSF implementation.  The decorator
pattern support is mandated by the spec.

> Thanks,
>     Gary

Craig