struts-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Use Cases" Example Webapp for the Shale proposal
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:07:30 GMT
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:48:32 -0700, BaTien Duong
<batien.duong@dbgroups.com> wrote:
> Hello Craig:
>
> Good work. Thanks for your effort. We always wish to have more than 24
> hours a day. I wish to have some spare time to get back to this.
>
> One quick question about the framework: What is the appropriate tool to
> use for configuration in different tiers? I thought Jsf is appropriate
> in the presentation tier. The business tier and integration tier can
> live in different servers separate from the server of the presentation
> tier. (I currently use Spring IoC for the configuration of these tiers).
> From a glance at your javadoc, you make Jsf as *the* configuration tool
> for DAO layer. Should it be appropriate to use chain of request/response
> framework to connect the tiers?

As with the original design of Struts, I tried not to impose these
decisions on the application developer -- you can choose your favorite
techniques.  However, it's instructive to note that, for its own
purposes, this particular example app uses the IoC-ish configuration
support that JSF already provides (via managed beans) to wire together
the business logic and DAO instances.

If the logic were any more complicated than the current example (and
other use cases certainly will be), using a chain to assemble your
tier-crossing (or even the processing within a tier) seems to make a
lot of sense.

> Thanks
>
> BaTien
> DBGROUPS