struts-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Dakota Jack <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Coupling, Struts and JSF
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:00:08 GMT
Hello, again, Jan,

Having read Ted's response, I can now understand what you were saying.
 I just could not see why doing something like chaining an action made
any sense or believe that people actually do that.  What I would
naturally do is to provide a common helper class, Setup.java (or
Result.java), rather than a helper Action, ResultAction.java or even a
framework to hand the whole issue.  Am I missing something?  I have in
essence asked the same thing of Ted.

Maybe the difference is that I just have not even considered chaining
actions.  I thought that was just an example of something silly that
some people might do.  And, to my embarrassment, I guess that some
people think that is a good idea?

Jack


On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:28:05 -0000, JAN.Cumps@intl.pepsico.com
<JAN.Cumps@intl.pepsico.com> wrote:
> Jack,
> 
> A use case is:
> 
> - Two struts actions (say CreateAction and EditAction call the same jsp
> to view the result (say result.jsp).
> - This result.jsp needs some setup (eg. a list of items for a selection
> box).
> - The natural way to populate such a list in struts, is in the action.
> - To prevent having the logic to populate the list both in CreateAction
> and in EditAction,
>   some users create a new ResultAction, where they do the view
> preparation.
> - Then they chain the action (this is controversal stuff):
>   . In CreateAction they do creation logic, and than forward to
> ResultAction.
>   . In EditAction they do edit logic, and than forward to ResultAction.
> 
> As discussed in bug 16107:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=16107
> 
> Regards, Jan
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dakota Jack [mailto:dakota.jack@gmail.com]
> Sent: dinsdag 4 januari 2005 15:34
> To: Struts Developers List
> Subject: Coupling, Struts and JSF
> 
> Craig,
> 
> I have been trying, again, to understand your position on Shale.  In
> the wiki, you say "[y]et in Struts 1.x, for example, the setup logic
> and processing logic end up in two different Actions, requiring
> multiple action mappings".  Could you expand on this a bit,
> remembering, if you would, that I am not a novice.  I have not run
> into a problem here and wonder what you are talking about in concrete
> terms.  I personally do not run into this problem and am
> philosophically counter to the idea that coupling can be good.  I am
> pretty "knee jerk" in favor of decoupling where possible.  This is one
> of the main reasons I have difficulty with JSF.  I really am contrary
> to the coupling.
> 
> Jack
> 
> --
> ------------------------------
> 
> "You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it float on its
> back."
> 
> ~Dakota Jack~
> 
> "You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep."
> 
> ~Native Proverb~
> 
> "Each man is good in His sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be
> crows."
> 
> ~Hunkesni (Sitting Bull), Hunkpapa Sioux~
> 
> -----------------------------------------------
> 
> "This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
> If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
> addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
> on this message or any information herein. If you have received this
> message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
> and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation."
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@struts.apache.org
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@struts.apache.org
> 
> 


-- 
------------------------------

"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it float on its back."

~Dakota Jack~

"You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep."

~Native Proverb~

"Each man is good in His sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows."

~Hunkesni (Sitting Bull), Hunkpapa Sioux~

-----------------------------------------------

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this
message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@struts.apache.org


Mime
View raw message