struts-dev mailing list archives

From fzli...@omnytex.com
Subject Re: Coupling, Struts and JSF
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:41:16 GMT
On Thu, January 6, 2005 1:30 pm, Ted Husted said:
> I'd say JSF and ASPX are similar in the same way that Struts and WebWorks
> and Maverick are similar. The broad strokes of the architectures resonate,
> but there are significant differences in the implementation details.

True enough, and it's in those implementation details that we as developers make our decisions
what to use.  If we just considered the broad strokes of the architectures as you put it,
and we found them to be fairly similar, there wouldn't be much of a decision to make, they'd
look more or less the same.

> If anyone is interested in a Struts-centric look at JSF, I'd recommend
> Mastering JavaServer Faces by Bill Dudley et al. If you're a Struts guy
> who having trouble getting started with JSF, this may be the book for you.
>
> [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471462071/apachesoftwar-20]

Thanks for that reference, I'm going to have a look at that book.  I'm not as up on JSF as
I want to be at this point (haven't really had the time or incentive just yet), but this might
be a good push in that direction.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect