struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: ActionForm.validateForm(...) to replace ActionForm.validate(...)
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:09:59 GMT
At 8:41 PM +0000 12/3/04, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>Wouldn't it be better to get rid of this in 1.3 with the move to Chain?
>Doesn't everything get thrown up in the air and re-defined at that point
>including Action's being deprecated in favour of objects that just implement
>the Command interface?

I guess I had figured on 1.3 being more transitional than that.  But,
even if one were to use a command instead of an action, we haven't
talked (yet) about changing the validation model.

I haven't heard anyone propose a major change to the model of "Struts
populates an ActionForm and calls a method on it which tests its
validity and is able to return a bundle of messages explaining
validation errors if there are any."  My preference would be to defer
any changes that dramatic until 1.4, although with the chain, it
would be a little easier for people to prototype those kinds in the
sandbox or on SourceForge (or whereever...)

Perhaps it is worth trying to come up with a more future proof
implementation, though.  This isn't a burning issue -- clearly people
are confused about the ActionMessages/ActionErrors situation, but I
think that's "under control."  By future-proof, I mean something that
passes in the resources-equivalent of ActionMessages, and possibly
which passes in something like a "ValidationContext" which would
eliminate the explicit dependency on HttpServletRequest.

Joe

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com