struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ActionForm implementing Map
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:02:01 GMT
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:58:48 -0800, Dakota Jack wrote:
> But, this is a damned
> confusing list and very hard difficult to grasp the rules.  Is
> there an insider requirement or something?

We run our lists the same way most other Apache projects do.

* http://struts.apache.org/mail.html

The Dev lists are like appellate courts. If the answer on the User list is "you can't get
there from here", then you can "appeal" to the Dev list to see if we can change "the lay of
the land".

Regardless of where you post, it is often best to concisely explain *why* you want to do something
rather than jump to *how* you think you might want to do it. Often, people have already solved
the same problem in a different way. In programming terms, describe the interface of the problem
first, and then ask if anyone sees why your suggested implementation doesn't work. Often,
the easiest solution is an alternate implementation. A lot of support threads spend three
or four posts defining the problem because people jump to what they (think they) want to do
without explaining why they want to do it.

In any event, please check the mailing list archives for ActionForm and Map, and ask any followup
questions on the User list, until you get to the point where people say that the current codebase
doesn't support the behavior. Then when someone does suggest moving a thread, please just
trust us and do it.

-Ted