struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Don Brown" <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Struts Sub-Projects
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 05:52:31 GMT
Perhaps this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything
about it....

How will we organize Struts subprojects in the repository?  As I
understand it, Struts subprojects are projects that are intimately
associated with Struts, yet have their own release cycle.  The prime
example being struts-faces.

If so, why is struts-faces located in /trunk/ and therefore branched and
tagged along with Struts core?  Shouldn't it have its own
trunk/branches/tags triad for its own release cycles?

In a particular project in my day job, we have two main components that
have their own release cycles.  In subversion, we give them the following
organization:
  server/
    trunk/
    branches/
    tags/
  client/
    trunk/
    branches/
    tags/

This allows each component to branch and tag without affecting the other.
I would think a similiar organization would be practical for Struts to
allow sub-projects like struts-faces and struts-flow to manage themselves.
 I'd recommend (if it hasn't already been discussed and rejected) we adopt
a similar pattern with "core", "struts-faces", "struts-flow", and
"struts-bsf" as root directories, each with their own branches/tags/trunk
directories.

Don