struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: Opening Salvo 'n CVS: step one
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:22:17 GMT
If you mean Apache projects don't require a uniform set of tools, that's correct. Many people
want to use the same CVS client or IDE to work on ASF code as they do at work, so we don't
prescribe which to use.  Developers are invited to use whatever client software they like,
so long as it can hook up to our CVS (or SVN), web, and mail servers. The standard procedure
for accessing our CVS with the client of your choice are here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html

At the bottom are links with instructions for various Unix and Windows clients.

-Ted.

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:06:42 -0700, Michael McGrady wrote:
> I am somewhat surprised that there is not a standard procedure for
> doing this sort of thing.  Accordingly, I guess I will just have to
> take my time and eventually get there, since I have other things to
> do than work on struts open source.  I am going to keep track of
> what I do so that hopefully others will be able to use the process
> in the future, sort of like code reuse.  Not complaining!  It is
> just that I love to code and am not crazy about learning new
> administrative nuances.
>
> Please let me know if I am screwing up.  So far, this is what I
> have done.
>

> 1.  Downloaded and installed Python 2.3.4 from
> http://www.python.org/. (APPARENTLY REQUIRED BY WinCVS)
> 2.  Downloaded and installed WinCVS13b18 from
> http://www.wincvs.org/. 3.  Rooted around in
> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14033&group_id=1 4
> .  Got a reference to a WinCVS manual at
> http://cvsgui.sourceforge.net/howto/index.html. 5.  Downloaded
> PuTTY from
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html. 6.
>  Jettisoned PuTTY
> 7.  Went to SecureCRT at
> http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/. 8.  Completely screwed
> up setting up WinCVS following the outdated instructions at jakarta
> and decided to get back to this tomorrow.
>

> At 07:52 AM 7/5/2004, you wrote:
>> I probably wouldn't start with jcvs. For Windows, a good place to
>> start is with PuTTY and WinCVS or TortoiseCVS. (I haven't used
>> TortoiseCVS myself but TortoiseSVN is excellent.) For Unix, the
>> standard command line version might be simplest.
>>
>> A good place to get "your feet wet" is with a SourceForge
>> project, since the procedure there is so well documented.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14033&group_id=1
>>

>> You might try getting an anonymous checkout of, say,
>> struts.sf.net first, to confirm that you have a working
>> infrastructure, and then give Apache Struts another try.
>>
>> -Ted.
>>

>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 06:18:19 -0700, Michael McGrady wrote:
>>
>>> I am attempting to download struts cvs with jcvs ii.  I am a
>>> new user of CVS.  I am essentially a coder and have not master
>>> the finer arts of administrating these jobbers.  Guess it is
>>> time I learned, so here goes.
>>>
>>> I am getting the following error:
>>>

>>> The CVS Request failed.
>>> Failed to open socket to connect to cvs server
>>> '2401@cvs.apache.org/home/cvspublic'.
>>> could not create INETD connection for
>>> '2401@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic' -->
>>> cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic could not create INETD
>>> connection for '2401@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic' -->
>>> cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic
>>>

>>> ** The command completed with an error status
>>>

>>> I have used the PServer option and have the username as
>>> anoncvs. My CVS Modules is "checkout".  My CVS Server is
>>> "cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic".  My CVS Repository is