struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: thoughts on encouraging user development
Date Sun, 04 Jul 2004 18:10:53 GMT
One of the best posts I've read on contributing to open source is one that Craig made some
time ago to the Tomcat list.

* http://jakarta.apache.org/site/contributing.html

In this post, Craig describes how committers evolve from users. As people use use Struts,
and find ways to improve it, they can contribute their improvements back to the community.
There are several ways to make contibutions. Many people setup their own site, other join
the SourceForge Struts site (http://struts.sf.net/), and some make contributions to the main
distribution.

Because we consider contributing an extension of using, the "How to contribute" material is
part of the Using page.

* http://apache.struts.org/using.html

If anyone gets the sense that we aren't pushing hard for contributions, it might be because
we are already backlogged. There are 262 outstanding enhancement tickets, 29 with patches.
 So many that I despair at ever reviewing them all. I'm sure that many are duplicates, overlapping,
or obsolete, but what Apache hours I have available need to be spent elsewhere right now.
:(

-Ted.