struts-dev mailing list archives

From Hubert Rabago <jakartau...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: thoughts on encouraging user development
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:00:48 GMT
--- Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> I can personally guarantee that if two or three developers post to a ticket
> and say "works for me", especially if they are names that I've seen before,
> the patch will be (and has been) applied. [Of course, whether it "sticks"
> is up to the rest of the committers :)]

I have no doubt about that.  What I tried to point out is my observation that
people don't seem to try out a patch just by pure coincidence.  Out of the
few who do nightly builds to use in their production apps, coincidentally
trying out the very same patch out of the two dozen reports with patches seem
like long odds.  My suggestion was for a committer who's interested in
applying a patch, but not having the time to try it out himself, to make a
call for developers to try it out.  IIRC, I've seen this happen, and indeed
the patch got applied.  Sort of a "committer-approved short list".

> When I review tickets, the ones with additional comments do get the most
> attention, the ones that stand alone do get the least.
<snip/>
> This is a meritocracy, and hands-on effort
> counts for more than does clicking on a radio button.
<snip/>
> We need to hear from other members of the community that this
> issue is a problem for people <snip/>

Some people might feel that voting for a bug actually "counts" as a stronger
comment, especially since they can leave a limited number of bugs yet leave
comments all over.  Also, some might choose not to comment when whatever
comment they might already make has already been said by somebody else.

Maybe there's a way to disable voting for bugs if votes don't count anyway,
or at least let people know that textual comments count more than votes, just
to avoid the misconception.  I've seen reports where there were more votes
than comments.  If those people knew leaving a comment counted more than
casting their limited votes, it's a good bet that they would've actually left
comments instead.

> Here's another reason why: All the committers are very busy guys right now.

I think people sense this, and that's why there were calls sometime ago for
more committers.  Personally, I don't feel there's a need for more
committers.  I think the current batch of committers are doing a wonderful
job, and I'm glad the bigger changes (such as struts-chain) aren't being
treated as an overnight job.  I'm also glad that just submitting a patch
doesn't make a contributor a committer.

I think the fact that there aren't a whole bunch of changes right now reflect
the stability of Struts.  Struts already provides so much, and yet remains
very reliable -- only a small percentage of the 262 tickets are really bugs,
most are just enhancement requests.  The few bugs I've seen on the tickets
seem to only affect really obscure situations.