struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: Struts Web Services Enablement Project
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 12:14:12 GMT

btw: does your thing generate the wsdl files?
That would be really neat. I could whack em straight into Axis and bang up a
swing client extra fast then!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Husted [mailto:husted@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, 4 June 2004 19:57
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: Struts Web Services Enablement Project

Yes, you did the right thing. You cobbled up enough code to prove the
concept and brought it out to show before it was too late to go another way.
:)

I've an interest in Web Services, so I'll be taking a closer look at this.
But here are some superficial points:

* Please consider putting the code under Apache License 2.0
<http://apache.org/licenses/>. I

* It's true that, in practice, the Struts Actions create a coarsely-grained
business API. But, attaching the moniker "business logic" to Actions will
start theological discussions. It's true that if an Action is factored
properly, it would be easy to recreate as some web service class. It's also
true that exposing existing Actions as Web Services, would be valuable to a
lot of people. So, keep the idea but drop references to "business logic"
from the documentation. An Action is what an Action is :)

* Working at the RequestProcessor level seems like the right approach to me,
but you'll want to take a look at the Struts-Chain RequestProcessor in
Contrib. It's based on the Commons Chain package and is slated to become the
default RequestProcessor in the Struts 1.3.x series.

  * http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-struts/contrib/struts-chain/

  * http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/chain/

I'll take a closer look at the code tonight, but wanted to get these
preliminary points off to you.

-Ted.