struts-dev mailing list archives

From Edgar P Dollin <ed...@blue-moose.net>
Subject RE: PATCH: html:cancel tag. Made a javascript version for submitt ing
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:19:03 GMT
Thanks.

As to your prior point, I will explain why a goal of being able to swap the
view and controller is of a lower priority to me than having an integrated
set of tags with the controller.

Work gets planned and paid for by project.  A typical project would be to
web enable or web service enable a business app.  Commitments to technology
are made on this basis, not on we think this html view technology is better.
Now struts, or any bean based controller, is compatible with all the view
technology out there with any bean based view technology.  The point is cost
control, since struts tags are integrated, it is cheaper in most cases to
just use the tags with their limitations.  The better and more complete the
struts tags get, the cheaper it will be to get open source applications up.
Since all the organizations that works with struts have to coble together
date handling for example, there is an awful lot of code being written or
package integration that is redundant.

In struts case it is a request / response controller.  If some technology
comes along that works with a request / response mechanism, then struts
should adapt allowing you to keep your investment in connecting your
business logic to struts actions.  That has little to do with enhancing the
current tags which address html/http which for the forseeable future will be
the dominant application delivery mechanism.

Edgar