struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject RE: branching 1.2 and 1.3 and CVS reorg for TLP status
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:58:54 GMT
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 10:55:00 -0800 (PST), Martin Cooper wrote:
> I am now leaning towards 3 repos myself:
>

>  struts-legacy
>    This is our current repo, renamed. I don't really care for this
>    name, but I can't think of anything better right now, and I hate
>     sticking numbers in repo names, because they become invalid
> quite rapidly if they are associated with versions (unless we
> start a new repo for each major version, a la Tomcat, but I
> don't like that idea either, for CVS history reasons).   struts
>    This would be structured per one of the suggestions above.
> struts-sandbox
>    A separate sandbox, a la Commons and Taglibs.

This would be fine with me.

Checkout granularity cuts both ways. If you are actually working in all aspects of a project,
then it's more checkouts. If you are not, then you spend more time checking out code that
you don't care about. (Commons is getting to be a chore these days.) My experience with multi-project
Maven builds is that its not difficult so long as the JARs are placed in a local repository
where other Maven builds can find them. But either way works, it's all good.

My suggestions were colored by experience in environments like SourceForge where these sort
of things are automated and easy to do.  But, if a minimum number of repositories will make
it easier for infrastructure, then, absolutely, I'm all for that. :)

-Ted.