struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: Does struts-chain work with tomcat 4.1 ?
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:56:25 GMT
>>Of course, it would be better to rewrite the struts-chain build to
>>explicitly identify the JARs it needs, when time allows.
>
>I'm not sure this would be better.
>Mavenizing struts-chain would be the best, but then with how maven
>is currently operating, you would need to explicitly declare all
>dependencies in struts-chain, thus duplicating struts dependencies
>in this subproject.
>My colleague Alejandro Abdelnur, whom I CC here, has a very
>interesting maven enhancement proposal to solve that kind of issue:

That Maven enhancement sounds useful, and I've definitely heard
discussions of the like on the maven-dev list, either related to
Alejandro's proposal or at least sympathetic to it.

For now, we could just declare that the struts-chain project.xml
extends the struts project.xml; this would work now without waiting
for changes to maven which will probably be slow in coming, since
they are doing a big under-the-hood overhaul for Maven 1.1
Jakarta-Commons uses project inheritance extensively, and I've used
it myself and it pretty much does what we want here -- makes sure
that the versions of common JAR dependencies track between
struts-chain and struts itself.

>>The problem you identified with the example struts-config.xml may
>>not be the only one; I tried using that a bit when I was working on
>>getting Chain installed, and ended up finding it easier to just put
>>the ComposableRequestProcessor in the app I was working on rather
>>than getting it working with the struts-chain example app.  If you
>>have the time to fix up the struts-config.xml to work correctly,
>>patches would be gratefully accepted.  (Preferably attached to a
>>bugzilla entry.)
>>
>I'll send a patch when I succeed in making that stuff work.
>So my understanding is that the current struts-config.xml in
>struts-chain is out of sync with the struts example application, and
>you work with a different web application to test your work.
>Do I understand right ?

I believe that's true, and probably more so since Ted has been doing
a ton of work on the example applications lately.  I'm plugging the
chain straight into my current project and it's working.

>The changes I made in struts-nightly struts-config.xml to use the
>ComposableRequestProcessor are:
>When I do that I get the welcome page but all links go to blank pages.
>Did I miss something ?

That all looks correct to me.  You should be able to make those two
changes (define an alternate processor class in controller-config;
include Chain plug-in) in any existing Struts application you have
and have it basically work.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska