struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: Does struts-chain work with tomcat 4.1 ?
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:27:01 GMT
>My other questions still stand.
>
>1. is someone actively working on that code right now ?
>2. does someone have struts-chain installed and configured correctly ?
>from where did you get it ? Any caveats for the build ?
>4. I used maven to build struts: the maven dist target's result differs
>significantly from ant's dist, and contrib/struts-chain makes some
>assumptions about what's 2 levels above that are not met by the maven build.
>This is whay I had to use a nightly build.
>is there a way to generate jakarta-struts's build.properties from maven ?-)

As a matter of fact, yes, I've put in a few patches to struts-chain
over the last couple of weeks.  Specifically last night I committed a
change to struts-chain which will now require the newest nightly
build of Struts (2004/01/19 or later) -- this is to more correctly
support declarative exception handling for superclasses of the thrown
exception.    I also recently put in support for Tiles, although that
is not in the default chain-config.xml

So yes, in doing this, I have been using a struts-chain installation.
I built from CVS, and of course, i'm using Struts itself also built
from CVS.  It works fine.  I'm running it under Tomcat 4.1.29, but I
doubt that makes a difference.

It's true that because the build.xml for struts-chain relies on the
Ant build of Struts, it would be fairly tedious to get it to work the
way it is now using Struts built only with Maven.

You can't generate the Struts build.properties from Maven, but it
might be helpful for us to put in a version of
build.properties.sample based on defining your maven repository home
and then computing the paths to all of the jars based on that.  I can
send you my build.properties privately if you want a head start on
that.  Of course, it would be better to rewrite the struts-chain
build to explicitly identify the JARs it needs, when time allows.  If
you take my build.properties, change the maven repository path, and
do "ant dist" in the Struts CVS root, you may have an easier time
building struts-chain.

The problem you identified with the example struts-config.xml may not
be the only one; I tried using that a bit when I was working on
getting Chain installed, and ended up finding it easier to just put
the ComposableRequestProcessor in the app I was working on rather
than getting it working with the struts-chain example app.  If you
have the time to fix up the struts-config.xml to work correctly,
patches would be gratefully accepted.  (Preferably attached to a
bugzilla entry.)

Joe

--
Joe Germuska