struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter A. Pilgrim" <pet...@xenonsoft.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Compartmentalization of Modules (was Re: [18111] et al)
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:18:18 GMT
Ted Husted wrote:
> Like James, I've been counseling teams to go multiple struts-configs rather than modules,
> because of the issues with cross-linking and sharing resources between modules.
>
> If we go ahead with the patch to html:link, to match the other changes we made this week,
> then I wouldn't have to steer people away from modules.
>
> As it stands, I believe the most common use case is that large teams want to use modules
as
> part of a divide-and-conquer strategy.
>
> I'd suggest that we go ahead an apply these remaining patches, so that we support sharing
of
> resources and linking between the named modules and the default module.
>
> If someone comes up with a patch to make the contextRelative tag attribute configurable
or
> immutable, then we can apply that too.
>
> My one concern is that "contextRelative" is a verbose attribute name and potentially
> confusing. From one perspective, the module is the current "context" :). It really means
> say applicationContextRelative, but that's impossibly long for an attribute name.
>
> While I'm at it, how about if we turn the attribute around and deprecate
> "contextRelative=true" in favor of "modular=false"?
>
> So we'd have things tags <html:img page="/assets/logo.gif" modular="false"  />
instead of

I am in favour of this +1

This is useful for large e-commerce projects where I would prefer modularity
and also a way of sharing resources.

With this compartmentalisation of modules, is there now a true to set up
a module for utilities such as generic form editor, or search page.

In a different can we have another module say for operations that call
Actions in the `utilities' methods easily. With strict separation I
understand this is not possible. So I am correct in assuming that
Struts 1.2 will allow users to do this finally?

--
Peter Pilgrim