struts-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sundling <tomcatl...@tkz.net>
Subject Checkstyle headers
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:18:16 GMT
I've created the a regular expression version of the license file and
did in fact find a bunch of inconsistencies with the license.  Here are
the most popular ones:

starting at line 2:  Don't have all the CVS variables like Revision,
Date and Header
starting at line 26: mispelled acknowledgement
starting at line 38: use of names (instead of name)
starting at line 39: Apache Group (instead of Apache Software Foundation)
starting at line 10: different copyright dates,  including single years
and a variety of year combinations

All of these are pretty straightforward as far as how to fix them.
except for line 10.  Would it be good to update all of them to have the
same date ranges (2000-2004) or just use a regular expression to account
for the combinations?  I assume LICENSE.txt itself should be updated to
2004 in any case.  Let me know ASAP  which way to go and I'll have a
patch  pronto.   Since I've gone to all the trouble of a regexp version
of the license I may as well fix the problems.  It seems to me that if
the license in the file is meant to represent the copyright dates of the
project, I should change the files.  If the copyright dates are meant to
represent the individual files, then I should leave them alone.

So vote for :
1. regexp expression in CheckStyle.xml and leave dates alone in the
source files
2. update all the dates to the same range in the source files

Paul Sundling

P.S.  Here are all the combinations for reference:
 * Copyright (c) 1999-2001 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * Copyright (c) 1999-2001 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * Copyright (c) 1999-2002 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
  *  Copyright  (c)  1999-2003  The  Apache  Software  Foundation.
All  rights
 * Copyright (c) 1999-2003 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * Copyright (c) 1999-2003 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * Copyright (c) 1999 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * Copyright (c) 1999 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * Copyright (c) 2000-2003 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * Copyright (c) 2000-2004 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * Copyright (c) 2001-2003 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * Copyright (c) 2002-2003 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * Copyright (c) 2003-2004 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 *  Copyright (c) 2003 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights