struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compartmentalization of Modules (was Re: [18111] et al)
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:08:57 GMT
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:48:21 -0800, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> Orthogonal to adding a "module" attribute and other sorts of things
> associated with this thread (I agree with the things I've read
> along that line), I remember that Martin proposed (*many* moons
> ago) the idea that module configurations might be organized
> hierarchically -- they would inherit default behavior from a parent
> module in a manner similar to how Tiles do it.  If that is not in
> the current thinking, it would still be something worth thinking
> about for the future.

Now that you mention it, a nice aspect of the module attribute is that it could extend in
the future to support a relative syntax, so someone might be able to say module="../" or some
such.

Once we get 1.2.0 out the door, I would like to see about adding the Tiles (and now Jelly)
"extends" feature to all the Struts config elements.

> Just thinking out loud, we could keep the existing non-hierarchical
> behavior as a default (for backwards compatibility), but add a
> "parent module" attribute into ModuleConfig to enable one to define
> the inheritance hierarchy.

So a module could also extend an element from the "default" configuration as well as it's
own?

Would we also want module links to check the default module before going "unknown" (404)?