struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Compartmentalization of Modules (was Re: [18111] et al)
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:26:32 GMT
Like James, I've been counseling teams to go multiple struts-configs rather than modules, because
of the issues with cross-linking and sharing resources between modules.

If we go ahead with the patch to html:link, to match the other changes we made this week,
then I wouldn't have to steer people away from modules.

As it stands, I believe the most common use case is that large teams want to use modules as
part of a divide-and-conquer strategy.

I'd suggest that we go ahead an apply these remaining patches, so that we support sharing
of resources and linking between the named modules and the default module.

If someone comes up with a patch to make the contextRelative tag attribute configurable or
immutable, then we can apply that too.

My one concern is that "contextRelative" is a verbose attribute name and potentially confusing.
From one perspective, the module is the current "context" :). It really means to say applicationContextRelative,
but that's impossibly long for an attribute name.

While I'm at it, how about if we turn the attribute around and deprecate "contextRelative=true"
in favor of "modular=false"?

So we'd have things tags <html:img page="/assets/logo.gif" modular="false"  /> instead
of   <html:img page="/assets/logo.gif" contextRelative="true"  />

As mentioned, once we mop this up, I believe we can roll 1.2.0. :)

-Ted.