struts-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: maven checkstyle report
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:40:02 GMT

--- Joe Germuska <Joe@Germuska.com> wrote:
> >1. License file check errors:  There is a check to make sure all the 
> >source code begins with the license.  This is generating errors 
> >because the copyrights don't all follow the same years as what it 
> >expects to find.  It does lead me to question how the years in the 
> >copyrights are updated.  This is now 2004 and I wonder if any files 
> >have 2004 in them for instance.  There are at least two approachs to 
> >fix the checkstyle issue:
> >  Option 1 (easy way)  we modify conf/qa/CheckStyle.xml and add 10 to 
> >ignoreLines (already has 2,3,4,5).  I can submit a patch for that 
> >today if there is a go ahead.
> >  Option 2  we could make another copy of the license file with a 
> >regular expression for the years in the file.
> >
> >I'm leaning towards option 1 on this myself and it seems consistent 
> >with solutions that have been applied in the past.
> 
> I agree, option 1 is much simpler.
> 
> >2. Tab errors:  It has an error for tabs in the files.  Option 1  we 
> >remove the tabs check from checkStyle.
> >  Option 2  we replace tabs with spaces and do a quick visual check 
> >to see how everything lines up.
> >
> >Which approach to take here isn't  as obvious.  How important is it 
> >wether there are tabs or spaces?  That's not really my call, but I'm 
> >willing to take care of it either way.
> 
> This is the stuff religious wars are made of; it is true, though, 
> things like diff work much better if indentation is done 
> consistently, whichever character is used.  I don't recall if there's 
> an official preference in Struts, but I imagine someone will pipe in 
> if it's important to them.
> 
> If it turns into a big debate, better to disable the tabs check, 
> because as you say, it'll improve the signal-to-noise ratio in the 
> checkstyle reports.

We need to keep the tab check because we only use spaces in Struts code.

David

> 
> Joe
> 
> -- 
> Joe Germuska            
> Joe@Germuska.com  
> http://blog.germuska.com    
>   "We want beef in dessert if we can get it there."
>    -- Betty Hogan, Director of New Product Development, National 
> Cattlemen's Beef Association
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: struts-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: struts-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 


__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes
http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: struts-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: struts-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message