struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Sgarlata Matt" <sgarlata_m...@bah.com>
Subject Re: Struts 2.0 Ideas (was Re: Struts 2.0 Discussion Forum)
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:11:22 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Germuska" <Joe@Germuska.com>
To: "Struts Developers List" <struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: Struts 2.0 Ideas (was Re: Struts 2.0 Discussion Forum)

> So then, with specific frameworks,  I don't understand how Pico's
> orientation towards constructors works in an environment where beans
> need to be dynamically instantiated, but perhaps I just haven't
> thought about it hard enough.  Avalon seems too heavy, which leaves
> us (or me at least) with Spring and HiveMind.  I haven't developed
> with either but so far the docs for Spring give me a warm fuzzy
> feeling while the HiveMind docs kind of scare me.

I agree with your assessment of frameworks 100%.  However, Spring is under
an LGPL license, so Struts can't use Spring unless either Struts switches to
LGPL or Spring switches to ASF, right?  It would be kind of silly for Struts
to stay under ASF in this case, since the Spring license would force the
undesirable LGPL clauses on any projects that were based on Struts.  Am I
right?

Matt