struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Rick Hightower" <rhighto...@triveratech.com>
Subject RE: Disadvantages of Struts?
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:49:10 GMT
I don't want to clog up the dev list with a philosophical debate (however
well meaning on Robert's part); no offense intended. I will have to try
harder to avoid such bait in the future. I was being facetious (Playfully
jocular; humorous: facetious remarks), when I said Struts is perfect.

I use Struts and find it useful for projects that I have worked on. It is
not perfect, nor have I found a framework that was perfect. However, I do
not wish to defend it (time is money). Next time you are in Tucson AZ, we
can grab a beer (or coffee) and discuss the finer points at length.

I am going to go with the other well thought out responses and say this
question belongs on the user list.

I will not respond to this thread any longer. My apologies for continuing
this thread on the dev list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert H. Tran [mailto:rhtran2000@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 6:29 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: Disadvantages of Struts?

I am not sure that is true. Struts seems to lack of an API. IMO, there are
more required configurations than necessary. Take Action for example, to
write an Action, one has to paddle back and forth between the code and the
configuration. It is like an executable having to configure each of its
dlls. The visibility of the mappings is nice to have but the mappings can
be generated after the fact as in a debugging view. When the application is
finished, configurations become static. But since configurations are
required, they will be like loose ends of the application. Another issue:
how can one componentize his code and deploy it in a self-contained plug-in,
as with Eclipse? Please forgive my novice.

- Robert.