struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 1.2.x [was Multi Action servlet !]
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:01:43 GMT
We can just label them as such on the release page.

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi

This is a free-form page, and we can label the links anyway we like

* Struts 1.1.0 - Best available version
* Struts 1.2.0 - Also available ("Beta" quality release)

later ...

* Struts 1.2.6 - Best available version
* Struts 1.1.0 - Also available (prior stable release)
* Struts 1.2.7 - Also available (latest beta release)

We're actually using the Apache HTTPD release model, which Tomcat has
already adopted.

http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

-Ted.

Don Brown wrote:
> Ok, so we are moving to a Tomcat-style release numbering.  How exactly do
> we make it clear that 1.2.0 will be "beta quality" while another in
> the 1.2.x line will be GA quality.  One advantage of alpha, beta, and rc
> qualifiers is it is immediately obvious to users which one is which.  I
> think tomcat is simplier, but it is also potentially more confusing.
>
> Don
>
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Ted Husted wrote:
>

>>Don Brown wrote:
>>
>>>If that's the case, I really want to start kicking 1.x releases out the
>>>door.  What can I do to help?
>>
>>The big stumbling block was that some of the tests weren't running. If
>>they've been fixed, then anyone could cut a release when they felt the
>>code base was ready. Like, say, now. :)
>>
>>The release guidelines are here:
>>
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/releases.html
>>
>>and there's an old draft of a release plan here:
>>
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/proposals/release-plan_1_2_0.html
>>
>>If someone else wants to jump and be the release manager, be my guest :)
>>
>>I still haven't actually gotten through the legacy LATER or REMIND
>>tickets that we batch marked as part of the "get 1.1 out the door"
>>initiative. But I have been through the truly old and decrepit ones, and
>>enough may have been done on that score for now.
>>
>>I don't actually believe that the site documentation is ready for 1.2.x
>>GA release yet. But, it doesn't have to be. We can cut a 1.2.0 to shake
>>out what needs to be documented, make some updates, and then roll 1.2.1.
>>The overall Jakarta mode seems to be 4-6 releases to a single GA
>>release, so I wouldn't expect a GA until about 1.2.5 anyway.
>>
>>Of course, we will have to resolve the pending veto discussions before
>>cutting a Struts release of any kind, but I imagine that can happen over
>>the weekend, or even as part of a revised Release Plan.
>>
>>-Ted.

Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,
   Struts in Action - <http://husted.com/struts/book.html>,