struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reviving PageController (ViewController?) discussion?
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:52:12 GMT
Joe Germuska wrote:
> See Ted's recent post copied in below...  I'm definitely going to look
> at Chain before I invest a lot of energy in a PageController that works
> as earlier discussions have gone.

So, just to report back. I tried using view Command in place of view
action. It worked fairly well at first. You end up with a number of
Chains terminating in a view Command, which is fine under most
circumstances. Though, it starts to get clumsy when you are bridging
between flows, say from a "insert" flow to a "display detail" flow. So,
I've gone back to using a view action again. Though, there's only one
class that is passed the Command name as a parameter. So the view action
just runs a view Command.

Some frameworks, like Maverick, directly supports the notion of a page
controller with its own extension point. This seems like a useful
strategy for Struts to consider.

The conflicting issues seem to be

* We do want to give ActionForward an extension point so that it can
prepare the request before forwarding to its resource.

* We don't want to confuse matters by introducing another navigational
decision point. Once the Action has selected an ActionForward, that
ActionForward should be responsible for the response.

* We don't necessarily want to introduce another class into the mix.

A side issue is that it would be helpful if the framework provided
better support for selecting alternate paths for an ActionForward, based
on Locale or other properties ("/pages/en/this.jsp" vs
"/pages/fr/this.jsp").

So, in addition to preparing the request, the ActionForward extension
point might also want to adjust the path (or choose between paths
provided in the configuration).

No concrete proposal; I just wanted to keep this on the table.

-Ted.

--
Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,