struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extending Standard Tags was Editable Fields V/S Static Text
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:24:44 GMT
Steve Raeburn wrote:
 > While I'd probably be in favour of Struts becoming a top level
 > project, I must confess I don't quite understand the criteria for
 > becoming one.

It's mainly a question of whether the community surrounding the product
is mature enough to stand on its own and stay true to the Apache
principles of meritocracy and collaborative development. And also
whether that community wishes to be a top level project or not.

So, its *not* about the software product itself: it's about the
community that surrounds and supports the product.

In practice, we could stay at Jakarta and do all this. But, it's my
feeling that once you start talking about running subproducts that could
sustain a community of their own, then it's time to bite the bullet and
graduate to top-level.

 > p.s. Jakarta Faces (or would it be Struts Faces?) would be an
 > interesting subproject for a top level Struts. Then we'd be covering
 > the V and the C.

If the people developing that product felt that way, then that would be
one way to go. But, IMHO, a JSF implementation has a broad enough scope
that it can easily justify a top-level project of its own.

Also, I believe that being under the Struts umbrella might stunt the
growth and acceptance of a product like this. There are frameworks other
than Struts that could use JSF, but if it's under our brand, many will
write it off as a "Struts thing". Sad, but true. Better, I think, to run
it under the Jakarta or Apache banner. But, as always, them that does
the work, make the decisions.

-Ted.