struts-dev mailing list archives

From adam kramer <a...@monkey.org>
Subject Re: Lets call it pageflow for Struts
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:06:54 GMT
On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 Paul_T_Smith@Dell.com wrote:
> One additional note, how many web applications let users jump in and out at
> a whim and still function properly? Most of the internet and intranet apps
> ive used (even ones programmed in struts) don't allow that. For example, I
> bank online, but if I hit the back button, the application tells me that the
> page has expired, probably because it would mess up the apps state to allow
> arbitrary navigation. As a matter of fact it has been the standard on most
> of the intranet apps Ive seen to completely disable the menu bars in the
> browser so the user couldn't hurt the application.

 IMO, this is weakness of most formwizard/page flows in webapps on the
internet. The ability to jump around within pageflows may be needed by the
overall business reqs. In my experience developing intranet apps, there
were situations where the flow of forms couldn't be predicted or
formalized (only given a "normal"/best-case pageflow), but all the forms
had to be tied together as one functional "workflow".

I definitely agree with Vic as well about programming defensively. If
pageflows was robust enough to arbitrarily allow teh user to move about
when deemed necessary, this would be a great advantage for many users.

-Adam K.