struts-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Leland <rlel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Addition of two new actions
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 19:16:24 GMT
David Graham wrote:

>>>I have a few concerns with this.  First, it's more work to maintain
>>>

>>this
>>

>>>new optional package with build files, tests, distribution, etc.
>>>

>>Second,
>>

>>>it's likely that the unused code would decay because Struts isn't using
>>>it.
>>>

>>Since we don't currently have a struts-contrib or struts-tools
>>distribution I would agree.
>>Once that is in place I believe that would change.
>>

>>>Also, it's confusing to have some actions in o.a.s.tools.actions and
>>>some in o.a.s.actions.  I think *all* standard actions that are
>>>distributed with Struts should live in o.a.s.actions.
>>>

>>or moved into the tools jar. I agree with what you said :
>>"I think unused methods/classes should be deprecated and removed."
>>
>>If the struts core doesn't use it then it doesn't belong in the core,
>>and should be
>>moved to a seperate jar. That includes any actions
>>

>So you're proposing that all of the current actions be separated from the
>standard Struts distro jar?

Yes, and if it is documented and deprecated over enough time, then by
struts 1.4 they could be removed.
It's one way to get a lean struts-core. How do we make a distinction
between the 'actions' classes and come other
 methods()/classes say under the util package about which stays and
which goes. Whats the reasoning ?

> I think that will be highly confusing.

No more so than going from struts 1.0 -> 1.1 where the import
statements changed for BeanUtils had to change.
And much less confusing than pulling out the TagUtil from
RequestUtils, which requires changing imports and code,
instead of just the import statements.