struts-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Addition of two new actions
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 17:10:29 GMT
--- Rob Leland <rleland@apache.org> wrote:
> David Graham wrote:
>
> >--- Rob Leland <rleland@apache.org> wrote:

> standard

> >>How about struts-tools distribution named after the velocity-tools.
> >>These would be classes that could be used stand-alone or in pairs.
> >>Tnen we could place those orphan RequestUtils absoluteURL, and other
> >>utilities there.
> >>It would have a package structure o.a.s.tools.(util, actions, ....)
> >>

> >I think unused methods/classes should be deprecated and removed.  We
> >shouldn't be carrying around excess unused utility code just because a
> >user *might* be using them.
> >

> I agree they should be moved from the core package.
> And moved to an optional package.

I have a few concerns with this.  First, it's more work to maintain this
new optional package with build files, tests, distribution, etc.  Second,
it's likely that the unused code would decay because Struts isn't using
it.  Also, it's confusing to have some actions in o.a.s.tools.actions and
some in o.a.s.actions.  I think *all* standard actions that are
distributed with Struts should live in o.a.s.actions.

David