struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reflection
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:04:20 GMT

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Ted Husted wrote:

> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 06:43:32 -0400
> From: Ted Husted <husted@apache.org>
> To: Struts Developers List <struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Reflection
>
> The framework itself only uses reflection to transfer the request
> parameters to ActionForm properties. When people say "Struts uses
> reflection heavily", they usually mean creating output pages with the
> the custom tags. (It would be interesting to see such benchmarks run
> against Struts applications that use XLST or Velocity templates instead,
> or the Struts EL tags on a container optimized for JSTL.)

The quality of your container's JSP page compiler is very critically
important.  For example, the change from Jasper 1 to Jasper 2 in Tomcat
(around 4.1.18 or so) resulted in page rendering time improvements of 600%
to 800% (enough to be visible even in a single user environment on a fast
machine), running exactly the same Struts based application.

> The Struts JSP tags rely on the BeanUtils package. BeanUtils has become
> quite rich, and it is possible that it could be due for some
> optimization. BeanUtils also supports some very complex syntaxes that
> not everyone uses, and a BeanUtils "light" might also be a worthwhile
> idea, for people who are not using nested beans and so forth.

It's definitely worth looking at optimizations of BeanUtils -- I did some
on the original code, but there's been lots of things added since.

> Gavin King, creator of Hibernate and an avid CGLIB user, isn't sure
> whether CGLIB, as it stands, would be much help to BeanUtils. The trick
> would be to get the CGLIB team interested in helping with BeanUtils.
> This would not only benefit the Struts JSP tags, but every other
> application that uses the Commons BeanUtils.

+1

> -Ted.

Craig