struts-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Labonté <elabo...@baan.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Modular Struts Examples
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:45:50 GMT
I propose (quite informally) a new packaging:

  Struts.jar (core logic only)
  Struts-taglib-rt.jar
  Struts-taglib-el.jar (from current contrib/struts-el.jar)
  *Struts-tiles.jar
  *Struts-upload.jar
  *Struts-validator.jar
  Struts-jsf.jar

Jars preceded by * are optional. I see no problem with leaving those closer
to the core.

Perhaps heavier on the backs of release managers, but more intuitive in my
sense. Someone using Struts with velocity could use only the core part.
Someone doing JSP will know the difference between EL and non-EL. Does this
make sense to you?

Etienne

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Husted [mailto:husted@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 4:53 PM
To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: [PROPOSAL] Modular Struts Examples

I'd like to propose that we gather together the

struts-documentation,
struts-example (MailReader),
struts-exercise-taglib,
struts-upload,
struts-validator, and
tiles-documentation

webapps into a single "struts-docs" application, where each of the
existing applications becomes a module. (Leaving the struts-blank out,
since it is meant as a application template.)

At the same time, I would like to take Steve Raeburn up on his kind
offer to donate his Struts-Examples application

http://www.ninsky.com/struts/

to Struts and the Apache Software Foundation.

The Struts-Examples application offers a number of very useful code
samples. We can continue to grow the examples step-by-step over time and
defray many of the requests on the list for code samples.

As part of refactoring the various Struts applications into a single
application of several modules, we can also bring Steve's application on
board as another module to "Struts-Docs".

-Ted.