struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: When is the next release?
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:36:05 GMT
IMHO, the next minor release can happen whenever someone is ready to
step up to the plate and volunteer to be the Release Manager.

AFAIK, right now, we are in a "evolutionary mode"; so, anything we are
checking into the CVS should be, as far as the Committer knows, ready
for prime time as soon as we check it in. If any "revolutionary code" is
proposed, we should be sure to release what's already on board before
making those types of changes to the HEAD.

If someone sees something going into the HEAD that looks dicey, then it
should be addressed right away. Any of us can unilaterally veto a change
on technical grounds before a release, but once the change is released,
it becomes the new status quo. The ability for any of us to roll a
majority-vote release is the check-and-balance for the unilateral
product-change veto.

I was away last week (and getting ready to go away the week before), but
I'll be trying to chip away at some of the patches on my list now. But
if anyone is ready to be the RM and roll a 1.2 Release Candidate, that
would be fine with me. During the last cycle, I continued to update the
Roadmap page with more background on the release process, if anyone is
looking for primers.

One thing that that we should remember to trumpet loudly is that we
[meaning mostly David :)] have started to remove many of the
longstanding deprecations. So, for example, any Struts 1.0.x Actions
that use the old Action statics or the old perform method won't compile
under Struts 1.2.0+ (when released).

While this may seem like a brief deprecation period to some people,
things like this have been deprecated for several months, or even over a
year, so the time is definitely nigh =:0)

-Ted.

--
Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,