struts-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Steudel <steu...@attraction.de>
Subject Re: Controller and Actions
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 05:53:03 GMT
thx matt

>I agree that you should have several actions for a single form.
>Fortunately, you can do this with Strut's DispatchAction.  I make extensive
>use of in the project I am working on.

i honestly have to tell you i haven't heard of this opportunity. i
checked it out but there are still some things i suggest as not being
"best praktice".

>I think everything you described in your 6 step scenario can be done with a
>combination of dispatch actions, the commons validator, and Strut's
>declarative exception handling.

i don't agree with you here. i also think that you can work around with
this setup but it is not satisfying. again the dispatchaction is only
one action which makes you infexible. i think of actions as a potion of
software you can put into various contexts. best example would be a form
reset action which can be put on every view to reset the userinput. as
far as i can see you have to provide a reset routine in every action to
do so. if the reset action would be independent it would be possible to
use this action in various contexts. furthermore you have only one form
an action can deal with. this means for the different contexts you have
to create different forms to adequately handle the userinput. if you
look at swing actions deal with input themselves. i don't think
processing input like that isn't possible on the web but what about
callback methods or listener methods the controller (i mean the
controlling portion of a view) has to implement? another thing is to
channelise comunication between the componenst (view - action - model )
through the controller (not the struts-type controller). if you do so,
you can compose components more easily i'd say.

DeeasS