struts-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: DynaActionForm.getMap() change
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:58:43 GMT
--- Rob Leland <rleland@apache.org> wrote:
> David Graham wrote:
>
> >DynaActionForm.getMap() returns the Map that the properties are stored
> in
> >without copying it to a new Map instance or wrapping it in an
> unmodifiable
> >Map.  IMO, we should treat that method with much more care and return
> an
> >unmodifiable view of the Map considering it's mainly to be used in JSTL
> >tags.
> >
> Does this solve a problem that you or others have encountered in
> practice ?

The problem is that it violates OOP rules of encapsulation.  Whether or
not I've personally had a problem with this is irrelevant.  We should be
trying to stop bugs before they're reported and Craig pointed out a very
possible way of getting into trouble with the current functionality.  I'm
not sure about acceptable solutions but the point was to raise the issue
and get feedback.

David