struts-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Struts repackaging (was RE: [PROPOSAL] Modular Struts Examples)
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:45:28 GMT
--- Steve Raeburn <steve@ninsky.com> wrote:
> What problems would be solved by repackaging into seperate jars?

There is a perception among some people that Struts only supports JSP in
the view layer because it provides JSP tags.  While this is not true, it
would be clearer if there was a separate taglib jar.  Velocity users
wouldn't have to lug around the JSP tags but, more importantly, the tags
could have their own release cycle.  A *large* percentage of bugs are
reported against the tags so it makes sense to decouple them from the
"core".

Also, as JSF becomes the standard view technology, there won't be a need
for the Struts specific html taglibs (JSTL has already largely replaced
the bean and logic taglibs).  So, it makes sense to separate the Struts
"core" from the view layer technology because there are many choices out
there besides the Struts JSP custom tags.

I don't see any benefit to separating out other parts of Struts besides
the custom tags.

David